Our human resources coordinators provide essential expertise to ensure that our staff are happy in their work.
Whether going out to the projects to provide training and support for the HR field staff or working in the capital city developing a national staff HR policy, HR coordinators provide the essential technical expertise to ensure that Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) national and international staff enjoy a safe and fair workplace and build successful careers with MSF.
This page gives a general overview of the role of HR professionals in MSF's work overseas, including HR managers and HR policy specialists.
Our HRCOs often work in the capital, managing administration teams in all the projects in that country.
It’s a diverse and stimulating role and you would be responsible for some or all of the following:
- Working with senior management team in country, providing HR advice on a wide variety of HR issues
- Working closely with HR teams in HQ to ensure resourcing needs for medical programmes in country are met (both national and international staff)
- Creating and reviewing HR policies and processes and overseeing their implementation across all projects
- Supporting and advising on learning and development of staff
- Ensuring MSF operates within local labour laws in the project country
- Managing, training and supervising locally recruited HR staff
- Supporting proper management of HR across the board and assuming full responsibility of all administration and legal issues in the mission
Read our guide on the application process for all overseas roles
- Educated to degree level and CIPD qualified (or equivalent)
- Significant experience in a generalist HR role, preferably within a multicultural context and multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to communicate at a variety of levels and with diverse groups
- Ability to adapt HR practices to very different working environments
- Good interpersonal skills, particularly listening, persuading, influencing and motivating; flair for building and maintaining good relationships
- Good time management combined with strong organisational skills, and ability to multi-task and work under pressure
- Ability to demonstrate creative solutions to problems and effectively manage change
- Demonstrable experience in conflict management
- Experience in training, coaching, mentoring and supervising
- Willing to work in unstable areas and ability to cope in a difficult and unpredictable environment
- Available for a minimum of nine to twelve months
- Minimum three months’ work, volunteering or travelling experience in developing countries
- Fluency in English
We're currently looking for HR coordinators with good French or Arabic skills.
If you can speak French or Arabic you're much more likely to be accepted onto our register.
Your language level may be tested during the recruitment process.
In their own words
Get eye-witness accounts from MSF HR Coordinators on our blogs site.
Before you apply
Make sure you read our application process guide for an overview of what to expect when you apply for an overseas role with the UK.
We take your safety, security and wellbeing seriously. Please watch these videos before you decide whether or not to apply for this job.
Apply to be an HR coordinator
Please only apply if you meet all of the requirements below.