The MSF UK cultural mediator pool is currently on hold and not accepting new applications. Please check back in mid-November 2021 to see if it has re-opened.
Cultural mediators are critical in facilitating communication between those we care for and Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) staff.
Support for the provision of quality services that facilitate communication between our patients and staff by:
- Creating a relationship of trust between the two parties
- Translating the doctor/psychologist's words into the patient's mother tongue so that they understand what the medical team is saying, and vice versa
- Helping MSF staff to understand specific aspects of the patient's culture with whom you have cultural ties, with the aim of improving the delivery of MSF services
- Exchanging with other cultural mediators and all MSF collaborators in order to approach each person in the best possible way
- Guaranteeing confidentiality, impartiality and neutrality
- Actively participating in all parallel activities related to the health and social assistance of patients, including information and advocacy activities
- Significant experience in interpreting and/or intercultural mediation
- Ability to work well as a part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to cope in a difficult environment and under pressure
- Flexible and able to manage stress
- High flexibility and adaptability
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Experience in the context of migration or related projects
- Experience with other NGOs or civil society organisations
- A training/diploma in cultural interpretation or mediation
In their own words
Get eye-witness accounts from MSF cultural mediators on our blogs site.
For cultural reasons and in order to facilitate access to our patients, we are looking for people with a mastery (level C2) of at least one of the following languages: Farsi, Dari, Kurdish (Sorani), Amharic and Tigrinya and an in-depth knowledge of the associated cultures.
- Fluency in English (level C2), which is the working language
Read our guide on the application process for all overseas roles
Before you apply
Make sure you read our application process guide for an overview of what to expect when you apply for an overseas role with the UK.
We take your safety, security and wellbeing seriously. Please watch these videos before you decide whether or not to apply for this job.
Apply to be a cultural mediator
Applications to the MSF UK cultural mediator pool are currently on hold. Please check back in mid-November 2021.